Alburgh's Atlas Missile Silo
If you were driving through northern Vermont at the height of the Cold War, you might have seen a major component of the United States' nuclear deterrence strategy: a tall, silver rocket tipped with a nuclear bomb.
Alburgh, Vermont was home to a missile silo housing an Atlas F rocket between 1961 and 1965, part of a network of silos controlled by the Plattsburgh Air Force Base. Another such silo was located in Swanton, Vermont.
- Read more about the Atlas Missile program and silos
- Read about the 556th Strategic Missile Squadron
- Watch Stuck In Vermont's video about the 556th's reunion
- Visit the Plattsburgh Air Force Base Museum website
- Follow the Plattsburgh Air Force Base Museum on Facebook