Hardwick Town House
The Hardwick Town House began as a primary school, built in 1860, and operated as such for 31 years before being converted to an opera house in 1893. With the economy booming, thanks to the granite industry and railroad operations, the opera house became a popular place for performances. After the granite industry declined, it fell into disrepair until the turn of the century when the Northeast Kingdom Arts Council repaired the space to its original glory and the community returned to using it for entertainment and community gatherings.
This Place in History is produced in partnership by Local 22 & Local 44 (www.mychamplainvalley.com) and the Vermont Historical Society.