Objects - Furniture

The furniture collection represents a range of styles, economic levels, and stories. It includes seating, case furniture, and other wooden decorative wares.

Search This Category
Return to Folder List
Box
Name/Title
Box
Entry/Object ID
1960.117
Description
Rectangular wooden box with nailed corner joints that hinges open at the center. The box opens to reveal to covered halves, each with their own locks. One side is labeled "Grand Jury" and the other is labeled "Standing Jury." The covers open up to small pigeon holes labeled with the names of towns and villages. In one half, the pigeon holes are filled with square pieces of a paper typed with the names of jurors. In the other half, the papers are contained within a paper envelope placed in the center of the pigeon holes.
Context
Used to determine jury members in Essex County, Vermont
Acquisition
Accession Number
1960.117
Source or Donor
Vermont Public Records Commission of Essex County
Acquisition Method
Gift
Materials
Wood
Relationships
Essex County
Candlestand
Name/Title
Candlestand
Entry/Object ID
1957.1.178
Description
Tilt top candlestand with octagonal top. The stand has three legs that come together in the center. The center stem is turned in the shape of a vase.
Context
Owned by Betsy Park Proctor, the mother of Governor Redfield Proctor.
Acquisition
Accession Number
1957.1
Source or Donor
Rugg, Harold Goddard (1883-1957)
Acquisition Method
Bequest
Made or Created
19th Century
Materials
Wood
Relationships
Proctor, Betsy Parker (1792-1871)
Clock
Interpretative Labels
Clock France Gift of the State of Vermont, 1964.63.125 In 1949, the French people shipped 49 boxcars filled with tokens of gratitude for the trainloads of food, clothing, and medicine that the United States had sent in 1947 to assist France's recovery following World War II. The "Merci Train," a response to the "American Friendship Train," arrived in February. There was an antique boxcar full of gifts and messages for each of the 48 states, plus one for Hawaii and the District of Columbia to share. Vermont's boxcar arrived in the state aboard a flatbed car on February 9. It made short stops in Brattleboro, Bellows Falls, and White River Junction on its way to Montpelier. The official welcoming ceremony took place on February 10, and included Governor Ernest W. Gibson Jr. and Count Max de Montalembert, the French vice-consul in Boston. Vermont's boxcar contained hundreds of items--dolls, toys, paintings, crafts, pencil boxes, embroidered collars, wooden puppets, ornamental fans, paintings, vases, trinkets, books, cards, and letters. Some of the artwork was given to the Fleming Museum at the University of Vermont in Burlington, some French books to Middlebury College, and individual items were sent via legislators to towns and libraries throughout the state. The remainder--nearly 200 items--has been in the custody of and stored at the Vermont Historical Society. Pieces from the collection have been displayed twice since they arrived in that boxcar 70 years ago--in the 1950s and in 1988.
Name/Title
Clock
Entry/Object ID
1964.63.125
Description
Wooden clock with ornately carved front. The front panel features floral carvings and inserted turnings. A round clock face is attached to the center. The front opens to reveal a space on the inside with a label indicating that it was given to the Merci Train.
Context
Given to the people of Vermont from the people of France as part of the Merci Train after World War II.
Acquisition
Accession Number
1964.63
Source or Donor
France
Acquisition Method
Gift
Made or Created
France
Materials
Wood, Glass, Metal
Relationships
Merci Train
World War II
Cradle
Name/Title
Cradle
Entry/Object ID
1960.119
Description
Red walnut rocking cradle with burl graining. The cradle consists of a rectangular base with flaring walls that rise into a cover over the head. The edges of the cover, or tester, are cut into a baluster shape, and the top is rounded by using three boards. The cradle is on two rockers, placed at the head and foot. The shield-shaped back board (or headboard) is pine.
Context
Used by Lemuel Scott Jr. (born January 4, 1790), the first male born in Fletcher, Vermont
Acquisition
Accession Number
1960.119
Source or Donor
Scott, Warren A.
Made or Created
1790
Materials
Wood
Relationships
Scott, Lemuel, Jr. (1790-1878)
Desk
Name/Title
Desk
Entry/Object ID
1922.14.2
Description
Fall front desk with four drawers. The slanted portion at the top of the desk folds down to rest on two pull-out supports on either side of the top drawer.
Context
Used by Stephen Fay at the Catamount Tavern in Bennington during the Revolutionary War. Thomas Chittenden, Ethan Allen, and Jonas Fay reportedly also used this desk at the tavern.
Acquisition
Accession Number
1922.14
Source or Donor
Brown, Margaret Hyde Fay (1833-1922)
Acquisition Method
Gift
Materials
Wood, Metal
Relationships
Fay, Stephen (1715-1781), Allen, Ethan (1738-1789), Chittenden, Thomas (1730-1797), Fay, Jonas (1736-1818)
Catamount Tavern, Bennington
American Revolutionary War
Desk
Name/Title
Desk
Entry/Object ID
1976.54
Description
Narrow wooden desk with two lifting writing surfaces. The desk has a slanted top that opens into two shallow storage boxes. The desk sits on H-shaped piers, supported by a stretcher across the bottom. The piers are stained a dark color than the top of the desk and are scrolled and decorated with applied, carved bull's eyes. The right side of the desk has two metal plaques, one reading, "Seat of Consuela Northrup Bailey 1951 First lady speaker of the House", and the other reading, "Seat of Miss Edna L. Beard First lady member 1921".
Context
Used by both Edna Beard, first female member of the Vermont State House of Representatives, and Consuela Northrup Bailey, first female Speaker of the House of the Vermont State House of Representatives
Acquisition
Accession Number
1976.54
Source or Donor
Staff
Acquisition Method
Collected by Staff
Materials
Wood, Brass
Relationships
Bailey, Consuelo Northrup, Beard, Edna
Vermont State House
Document Box
Name/Title
Document Box
Entry/Object ID
1959.58.2
Description
Wooden document box with hinged lid. The corners of the box have been rounded. The lid has a bar handle in the center, and secures at the center front with a small, silver-toned metal latch.
Context
Made in East Calais, Vermont
Acquisition
Accession Number
1959.58
Source or Donor
Wilkinson, Madeleine
Acquisition Method
Gift
Made or Created
East Calais
Materials
Wood, Metal
Globe
Interpretative Labels
Globe, 1810-1819 James Wilson Bradford, VT Wood, paper, brass Anonymous gift, 1921.16 James Wilson of Bradford was raised on a farm and trained briefly as a blacksmith. He moved to Bradford as a young man in 1796 and became interested in cartography. After visiting Dartmouth College's map collection, he grew particularly enamored of globes, and set out to make his own. It took several years of experimentation and learning new skills - he was almost exclusively self-taught - but Wilson began officially manufacturing his globes in 1813. Producing a high-quality globe required mastering a variety of skills - printing, engraving, woodworking, and blacksmithing - all with a high degree of precision. Wilson manufactured a variety of globes, including a line of papier-mache globes that he could produce and sell inexpensively. His globes were the first to be manufactured in America, and found a ready audience in schools in particular. This globe was not among his first run, but was produced later, in 1816. The Wilson Manufacturing Company continued to produce globes in Vermont and New York for nearly fifty years.
Name/Title
Globe
Entry/Object ID
1921.16
Description
World globe printed on paper that is glued onto a hollow wooden sphere. The sphere rests in a stand made of wood and brass, and spins freely in two directions. The brass portion encircles the globe vertically, and is marked with measurement hash marks and numbers meant to indicate longitude. The wooden stand encircles the globe horizontally and on its flat surface there are more printed paper designs depicting astrological signs. The horizontal piece also includes measurement hash marks meant to indicate latitude.

The wooden stand is supported on four turned legs that are connected crosswise in the center. The globe can spin freely or be locked in place by making adjustments to the brass piece.

On the legend on the globe is printed the explanatory text: "A NEW / TERRESTRIAL GLOBE, / on which the / TRACTS and NEW DISCOVERIES / are laid down / from the Accurate Observations / made by / Cap.t. Cook, Furneux, Phipps & C. / By J. WILSON, VERMONT."
Context
Made by Wilson Manufacturing Company in Bradford, VT.
Acquisition
Accession Number
1921.16
Source or Donor
Unknown
Acquisition Method
Unknown
Made or Created
Artist
Wilson, James (1763-1855)
Wilson Manufacturing Company
1810-1818
Bradford
Materials
Paper, Wood, Brass
Mailbox
Name/Title
Mailbox
Entry/Object ID
1957.4.10
Description
Wooden box with hinged top. The box is simply constructed, with nailed joints. The top opens on hinges placed at the back, and locks with an interior lock at the center front.
Context
Used at H. Bennett's store in Bridport, Vermont
Acquisition
Accession Number
1957.4
Source or Donor
Rugg, Harold Goddard (1883-1957)
Made or Created
Bridport
Materials
Wood
Relationships
H. Bennett's
Pulpit
Name/Title
Pulpit
Entry/Object ID
1940.9
Description
Square pulpit with applied wooden decorations. The sides are paneled and decorated with escutcheons, scrollwork, and dentiling or strapwork. The top overhangs the sides.
Context
Used by Clark Stevens, a Quaker minister and founder of East Montpelier, VT
Acquisition
Accession Number
1940.9
Source or Donor
Pray, Mrs. George L.
Acquisition Method
Gift
Relationships
Stevens, Clark (1764-1853)
East Montpelier
Radio
Interpretative Labels
Radio, 1929 Atwater Kent Manufacturing Company Philadelphia, PA Wood, metal, glass Gift of David Stone, 1978.14.1a-c Arthur Atwater Kent was born in Burlington, but moved to Worcester, MA with his family as a child. He spent some time studying at the Worcester Polytechnic Institute but did not graduate, having already begun his own business making small electric motors, generators, fans, and an automobile ignition system of his own design. In 1921, he began making radio parts, selling them as do-it-yourself kits for early enthusiasts. By 1925, the Atwater Kent Manufacturing Company was the largest maker of radios in the United States. By 1931, they boasted that they had produced over 3 million radios. Though Kent had started with small kits for enthusiasts, by the late 1920s the company was focusing on high-end, high-quality models. As a result, the Great Depression hit the company particularly hard, and by 1936 its factory in Philadelphia, which had employed as many as 12,000 people at its height, closed. Many Kent radios were built into furniture pieces, and this table is an example of a particularly elaborate one. It was made by the Kiel Company of Milwaukee, and originally cost $175 when it came on the market in 1929. The company offered installment plans, which made even this high-end piece of technology accessible to the average American. At the time, radios would have occupied the central place in a home that televisions hold today – as a focal point of a room, a primary source of entertainment, and a connection to the outside world.
Name/Title
Radio
Entry/Object ID
1978.14.1a-c
Description
Large table with radio built into it.

The table has six legs, ornately turned, and connected by a central bracing system at the floor level. There are two plug outlets in two of the table legs. The table itself is shaped as a hexagon, with two long sides making it more oval-shaped. There is deep and elaborately decorated trim around the tabletop.

One side piece drops horizontally to expose a radio face with dials and band indicator. The trim and legs are painted black.

The tabletop is stained wood grain, and lifts up to expose the radio at the interior. The radio itself, an Atwater Kent Model 55C, takes up most of the interior space of the table. The radio is labeled Serial #4380032.
Context
Made by Atwater Kent Manufacturing Company
Acquisition
Accession Number
1978.14
Source or Donor
Stone, David
Made or Created
1929
Relationships
Kent, Arthur Atwater (1873-1949)
Calais
Sign
Interpretative Labels
Tollgate Sign, 1814-1816 Peru, Vermont Wood, paint Gift of Stoddard Bates, 1923.16 Turnpikes were an 18th and 19th century answer to the problem of building difficult-to-maintain roads in rural New England. States could charter companies with private shareholders to build and maintain roads with the understanding that those companies could then charge tolls to travel on the roads. Such companies were rarely as profitable as their investors had hoped, but they did connect communities and achieve several innovations in road building and maintenance. The Peru Toll Road, chartered in 1814, was the last road in New England with a true toll-gate; travelers in 1914, one hundred years after its creation, still had to stop and pay a toll to the private owner. It was purchased by the state soon afterwards.
Name/Title
Sign
Entry/Object ID
1923.16
Description
Wooden sign with hand-painted toll rates. The sign is constructed of two wooden boards painted white, with black copperplate lettering. The whole is framed with narrow pieces of black-painted wood.
Context
Shows the rates of toll for the turnpike in Peru, Vermont
Acquisition
Accession Number
1923.16
Source or Donor
Bates, Stoddard
Acquisition Method
Gift
Made or Created
1814-1816
Peru
Materials
Wood
Relationships
Peru
Trade Sign
Interpretative Labels
Trade Sign, ca. 1940 Montpelier, Vermont Wood, paint Museum purchase, 2008.18 James Pilini, his wife, and young daughter, emigrated from Switzerland in the late 1920's. His garage was located at 19 Pitkin Court behind the Fire Station in Montpelier. It was still in operating in the 1970's. The painted wood sign probably dates from the 1940s.
Name/Title
Trade Sign
Entry/Object ID
2008.18
Description
Pilini's Garage sign. The sign consists of two white-painted board, each with shaped ends. The word "PILINI'S" is painted in large letter across the center, with "WELDING / AUTO REPAIRING" on the left and "BATTER / ELECTRICAL / CARBURETOR" on the right. The boards are held together with two vertical boards on the reverse, onto which eye rings have been added for hanging.
Context
Pilini's Garage used to sit at 19 Pitkin Court in Montpelier, VT.
Acquisition
Accession Number
2008.18
Source or Donor
Lamb, Durwood
Acquisition Method
Purchase
Made or Created
1940
Montpelier
Materials
Wood
Relationships
Montpelier
Trunk
Interpretative Labels
Dr. David Fukuda served as an anesthesiologist at Barre City Hospital and the Central Vermont Medical Center for over thirty years. He and his family used this trunk, one of seven, to move from japan to Vermont in the 1950s. Fukuda's daughter, who donated the family's items to the historical society, wrote that when her parents moved, the trunk was "filled with all of their precious meager belongings...to begin their new lives in Vermont! It held all of their dreams and wishes for a good life."
Name/Title
Trunk
Entry/Object ID
2012.41
Description
Traveling trunk with riveted metal strapping around the edges of each side. The top opens with a hing, and secures with two side latches and a center lock. The trunk is additionally supported by narrow strapping across the center. The top is painted with the label, "Mr. M. Fukuda/New York" and the front has a paper label with a shipping address.
Context
Used by the Fukuda family when they immigrated from Japan to the United States in 1955.
Acquisition
Accession Number
2012.41
Source or Donor
Fukuda, Christopher, M.D. (b. 1958)
Acquisition Method
Gift
Made or Created
1950
Materials
Wood, Metal, Paper
Type Case
Name/Title
Type Case
Entry/Object ID
1973.55.1
Description
Handmade wooden type case. The case is divided in half then subdivided into small boxes or cubbies. Five rows are separated into square boxes (7 in each half-length row), and the remaining two are separated into rectangular boxes (5 in each half-length row). The reverse bears the inscription, "Type board used by John Goold in printing the first newspaper ever printed in the state of Vermont. John Goold was the father of Lydia Goold Putnam and grandfather of Abel Putnam (Jr?)." The front of the case is covered in plexiglass with an exhibition label and an example of the print attached.
Use
Used to hold letters for a printing press
Context
Used by John Goold in printing the first newspaper printed in the state of Vermont.
Acquisition
Accession Number
1973.55
Source or Donor
Owens, Margaret Gould
Acquisition Method
Gift
Made or Created
1794-1796
Westminster
Materials
Wood, Metal
Relationships
Goold, John (1761-1850)
Westminster
Writing Case
Name/Title
Writing Case
Entry/Object ID
1992.30.2b
Description
Wooden portable writing desk with a thin leather cover. There is a handle at the top. The front flap has a locking mechanism that, when unlocked, allows the whole side to drop open to become a writing surface. The interior of the back side is split into two sections that open outward from the center like doors, beneath which is one large page-sized storage section. The back of each door has a specialized storage area: one is split to hold four tools, and the second has a pleated envelope with a tappe closing flap. A long, narrow section stretches across the bottom and is filled with removable trays, allowing for multiple layers of storage. The end section holds an ink bottle. There are pen nibs, an ink bottle, and pen handle inside the case.
Context
Presented to Rufus Kinsley, superintendent of the May Street Sunday School for Negroes, Boston on his retirement in 1857. Kinsley carried the case during his service in the Civil War as part of Co. F, 8th Vermont and Co. G 74th US Colored Infantry. He continued to educate many formerly enslaved people during the war.
Acquisition
Accession Number
1992.30
Source or Donor
Kinsley, Sumner E.
Acquisition Method
Gift
Made or Created
1857-1865
Boston
Materials
Wood, Artificial Leather, Brass, Leather
Relationships
Kinsley, Rufus (1831-1911)
Civil War

Find us on Instagram