VHS Location 4
Capitol Annex, 1886-1917
The completion of the State House annex in 1886 brought the VHS its fourth home, a forty by seventy-four foot room on the second floor, graced by a fireplace given by U.S. Senator Redfield Proctor designed to show off the marbles of the state. The space was still not large enough for the VHS's growing collections, which were stored in the state library, under the capitol dome, and in the attic of the Agriculture Building across the street.
Click on images for larger views.