LHS Annual Conference & Workshops
VHS hosts a yearly conference, usually in the fall, for local historical societies and museums.
The Vermont Historical Society also occasionally hosts workshops designed to assist local historical societies and museums with a wide array of the challenges they may face, from collections care, strategic planning, volunteer recruitment, disaster management, creating exhibits, planning regional history fairs to PastPerfect cataloging. Check out our Calendar for any upcoming programs.
2019: LLHSM goes to NEMA
The New England Museum Association(NEMA) is holding their Annual Conference in early November 2019 in Burlington, VT. Because of that, we will not be hosting a 2019 LLHSM Conference. Instead, VHS is offering scholarships for attendees from local historical societies & museums in Vermont to the NEMA Conference. We hope these scholarships enable individuals to attend this valuable professional development opportunity, offered only once every seven years in Vermont. The conference provides a chance to learn from a wide variety of professionals and peers about issues facing museums, small and large, in a congenial and accessible atmosphere. Many VHS staff and Vermont peers will also be presenting sessions. Scholarships supported by the Alan Weiss Fund.
- The Conference will be November 6-8, 2019 in Burlington. Conference information: https://nemanet.org/conference-events/conference/
- The scholarships will cover a one-day Trustee rate conference registration, or $145 off any other type of registration. Registrations must be booked by the early-bird deadline (10/4) or rate increases will apply that are not covered by the scholarship
- The Organization or Individual applying must be a VHS Member located in Vermont.
- Scholarship recipients will be chosen at random from all eligible applicants received by the deadline (9/20)
- Recipients will be responsible for registering themselves for the conference. If they have not registered by 10/15, the scholarship may be given to someone else.
- Recipients will be asked to provide a short (300 words or less) report about their experience and what they learned.
- Additional scholarship opportunities are available through NEMA (including full-conference scholarships for Vermont residents funded by the Vermont Humanities Council). Visit https://nemanet.org/conference-events/conference/2019-conference/scholarships/ for additional scholarships.
Applying for a Scholarship