Lady of the Hills Opening Reception
In 1938, Sergeant-at-Arms Dwight Dwinell carved a statue of the Roman goddess of agriculture to adorn the dome of the Vermont State House. For 80 years, the statue, now known as Ceres II, stood watch over our Capitol before being replaced in 2018. Join us in welcoming her to her new home at the Vermont History Museum, where she will serve as the centerpiece of our newest exhibit, The Lady of the Hills.
Remnants of Larkin Mead’s original 1859 statue, carving tools donated by Dwight Dwinell’s family, as well as period photography and information on the current statue will now be on display in the Vermont History Museum’s Governor Richard and Lt. Gov. Barbara Snelling Room, along with the head of Ceres II. The body of the statue will join the exhibit once its conservation & stabilization is complete.
We will also unveil our new donor recognition wall and share even more updates to our Freedom & Unity exhibit.
A special thanks to the Pizzagalli Foundation, the Farm Families of Cabot Creamery Co-operative , and the State of Vermont for making this exhibit possible.