V Louise McCarren
First female chair of Vermont's Public Service Board under Governing Richard Snelling and Governor Madeleine Kunin. Former President and Chief Executive Officer of Verizon-Vermont and currently is Chief Executive Officer of Western Electricity Coordinating Council.
Date of Birth03/14/1947
V. Louise McCarren served as the first female chair of Vermont's Public Service Board under Governor Richard Snelling and Governor Madeleine Kunin. A lawyer by training, she is the former President and Chief Executive Officer of Verizon-Vermont and currently is Chief Executive Officer of Western Electricity Coordinating Council.
McCarren was born just south of San Francisco, California and attended the University of California, Berkeley for her undergraduate degree in economics. She also has a law degree from the University of California in Los Angeles. She moved with her husband to Vermont and was admitted to the Vermont Bar in 1973. For the next few years, she worked as a Reginald Heber Smith Fellow and a VISTA attorney for Vermont Legal Aid before becoming a public defender in Chittenden County. McCarren was the director of the New England Regional Energy Project from 1974 to 1977 and was a partner at the law firm Blodgett and McCarren from 1977 to 1981. In 1981, she was appointed by Governor Richard Snelling as Chair of the Vermont Public Service Board, a position she remained in until 1987. McCarren was a senior vice president at Chittenden Bank from 1987 to 1989 and then returned to the law as a partner at Sheehey, Brue, Gray and Furlong from 1989 to 1991. She unsuccessfully ran for lieutenant governor in 1990, and served as Commissioner of the Department of Public Service in 1991. McCarren was special assistant to the President of UVM from 1991 to 1993 and from 1993 to 1995 she was a full-time consultant for NYNEX. Her next career move was as managing director of state regulatory planning at Bell-Atlantic from 1995 to 1997, when she transitioned into the role of President and Chief Executive Officer of Verizon-Vermont. Her position at Verizon was eliminated in 2002 and McCarren currently is Chief Executive Officer of Western Electricity Coordinating Council.
McCarren has also been active on various boards and committees. She was a member of the Vermont Technology Council and served on the boards of Resolution, Inc., the Champlain Valley Chamber of Commerce, Vermont Public Television and the Vermont Business Roundtable. McCarren is the former Chair of the Fletcher Allen Board of Trustees and was a member of the New England Council. She currently serves on the board of Vermont Law School and has been a Director of National Life Group since 2002.
Organizations or Movements
- ISO New England Inc., Board of Directors
- Fletcher Allen Hospital Board of Trustees, Board Chair (until 2003)
- Vermont Technology Council
- Resolution, Inc
- Champlain Valley Chamber of Commerce
- Vermont Public Television
- Vermont Business Roundtable
- New England Council
- Board of Vermont Law School
- National Life Group
- Chair of the Vermont Public Service Board
- Legal Aid
- Vice President of Chittenden Bank
- President, Verizon Vermont
- Chief Executive Officer of Western Electricity Coordinating Council
- Director of the New England Regional Energy Project
- Commissioner of the Department of Public Service
- Special Assistant to the President of UVM
- Consultant for NYNEX
- Managing Director of state regulatory planning at Bell-Atlantic
- B.A. Economics, University of California, Berkeley, California
- LLD University of California, Los Angeles, California.