Kathleen C Hoyt
1940 to Today
Subject CategoriesGovernment / Politics
Served as Commissioner of Employment and Training, Governor Madeleine Kunin's and Governor Howard Dean's Chief of Staff and Secretary of the Agency of Administration.
Date of Birth06/06/1942
Kathleen (Kathy) C. Hoyt served as Commissioner of Employment and Training, Governor Madeleine Kunin's and Governor Howard Dean's Chief of Staff and Secretary of the Agency of Administration.
Kathy Hoyt was born in Rich Square, North Carolina and attended the University of North Carolina for both her B.A. and her Master's work in Sociology. She worked for the North Carolina Fund and then moved to Vermont in the late 1960's. In 1975 she served as planning director for the Vermont Human Services Agency and in 1983, she wrote the Profile of Poverty for the State Economic Opportunity Office. In 1985, she was appointed Deputy Commissioner in the state department of Employment and Training. When Commissioner Sallie Soule retired in late 1987, Hoyt was promoted to Commissioner of Employment and Training. She left that position in June 1989 to become Civil and Military Affairs Secretary and Governor Kunin's Chief of Staff, a position she remained in for Governor Howard Dean. From 1997 to 2002, Hoyt served as Vermont Secretary of the Agency of Administration, which made her responsible for taxes, budgets, personnel, facilities management and the infrastructure of the Vermont state government. She chaired the Commission on Higher Education Funding in 1998. Hoyt served as a trustee of the University of Vermont, where she was a member of and then chaired the Finance and Budget Committee, a member, then chair of the Investment Committee and a member of the Executive Committee. She is the treasurer of the Board of the Vermont Community Foundation, Vice-Chairman of the Mascoma Savings Bank Board of Directors, a Director of the Green Mountain Power Corporation and serves on the Vermont Public Radio Board of Directors. Hoyt received the Distinguished Service to State Government Award from the National Governor's Association in 1998 and was presented with an Excellence in Public Policy Award from the National Council of Governor's Policy Advisors. She is married to Norris Hoyt, who served as the Vermont Tax Commissioner and Commissioner of Liquor Control.
Organizations or Movements
- Governor's Council of Economic Advisors
- Vermont Community Foundation Board of Directors
- Vermont Women for Barack Obama Leadership Committee
- Green Mountain Power Board of Directors
- Vermont Public Radio Board of Directors
- former University of Vermont Board of Trustees
- Mascoma Savings Bank
- The Finance Project, Washington D.C. nonprofit research and development organization, member of the Board and Chair of Finance Committee.
- North Carolina Fund
- Director of Planning at Vermont Agency of Human Services
- Deputy Commissioner and Commissioner of Employment and Training
- Chief of Staff to Madeleine Kunin and Howard Dean
- Secretary of the Agency of Administration
- BA in Sociology, University of North Carolina, Greensboro, North Carolina
- Graduate work in Sociology, University of North Carolina
- graduate level work at Harvard University in public service leaders