Susan C Crampton
Secretary of Transportation under Governor Madeleine Kunin. First female president of the Northeast Association of State Transportation Officials (1987).
Date of Birth05/26/1940
Susan C. Crampton is a Certified Public Accountant who served as Secretary of Transportation under Governor Madeleine Kunin. She was the first female president of the Northeast Association of State Transportation Officials (1987).
Susan Crampton was born in Connecticut and came to Vermont to attend Middlebury College. She received a B.A. in Government from the College of William and Mary in Virginia and has taken graduate courses at the University of Vermont. Crampton is a Certified Public Accountant and was a partner for many years at the Burlington accounting firm Gallagher, Flynn and Crampton. She served as treasurer for Governor Madeleine Kunin's lieutenant governor and gubernatorial campaigns. Crampton left her accounting firm in 1985, when Governor Kunin appointed her the first female Secretary of Transportation. In this position, she oversaw many departments including motor vehicle, highways, air transportation, railroads, and public transportation. She also became the first female President of the Northeast Association of State Transportation Officials. Crampton resigned as Secretary of Transportation in 1989. She has served on the board of directors of the Vermont Land Trust, the Banknorth Group, the Franklin Lamoille Bank and the Medical Center Hospital of Vermont. Crampton also belonged to the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants and the Vermont Society of CPA's.
Organizations or Movements
- Member, American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, Vermont Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Trustee, Martha's Vineyard Hospital
- Chair, Audit Investment Committee. Director, VHA Health Foundation, Inc.
- Director, Vermont Electric Power Company, Inc.
- Trustee, Saint Michael's College
- Northeast Association of State Transportation Officials
- The Vermont Land Trust
- Director, Bank North Group, Inc.
- Director, Franklin-Lamoille Bank
- Trustee, Medical Center Hospital of Vermont
- Vermont Secretary of Transportation, 1985-1989
- Certified Public Accountant, Gallagher, Flynn and Crampton, 1979-1985
- Treasurer for Governor Madeleine Kunin
- Principal, The Vermont Partnership, Jericho, VT, 1990-2002
- Middlebury College
- BA in Government, College of William and Mary, Virginia
- Graduate School of Business Administration, UVM, 1967-1969
- Certificate, JFK School of Government, Harvard University