Since 1838, the Vermont Historical Society (VHS) has preserved the history that makes Vermont a special place to live, work, and visit. The VHS is the only organization in Vermont that collects artifacts, books, and documents that reflect the entire history of the state, including every geographical area and chronological period. Members are partners in VHS’s mission to engage a broad range of people in Vermont history through groundbreaking exhibitions, stimulating programs, and educational initiatives that bring history to life.
Membership helps Vermont Historical Society care for its priceless collection, present engaging public programs and innovative exhibitions, and serve more than 5,000 Vermont students, teachers, and young people each year. Become a Member today - it is only through your support that we can preserve the past, inform the present and promote Vermont's shared legacy for future generations.
- Unlimited free admission to the Museum, History Center, and Leahy Library
- 15% discount at the museum store and online
- Discounts on programs and workshops
- Subscription to semi-annual Vermont History journal and History Connections newsletter
- Voting privileges at the Annual Meeting
- Invitations to members-only events
|Admits member named on card and one guest pass|
|Admits two members named on card and their children or grandchildren under 18 and two guest passes|
|Household privileges, reciprocal privileges at over 600 Museums through North American Reciprocal Museum (NARM) program, and four guest passes|
|Associate privileges, six guest passes, and one household membership to gift|
|Historical societies, museums, libraries, heritage or other organizations|
Senior Citizens (65+), Military (active or retired), and Members of local Vermont historical societies receive a 20% discount on the membership level! (Individual and Household levels only).
For questions about our membership program or to renew or join by phone, please call Diane Campbell at (802) 479-8503. You can also fill out a form and mail your membership dues to:
Vermont Historical Society
60 Washington Street
Barre, VT 05641
Give a gift of stock
Donating appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual funds is easy and you'll often receive a significant tax benefit in the year you make the donation and avoid the capital gains tax you would have to pay if you sold the securities
- For general information and instructions, see our information sheet.
- For more details or to discuss gift options, please contact Tori Hart at (802) 479-8516 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For information on using your stock to create gift that also gives you regular income, please see the Charitable Remainder Trust and Charitable Gift Annuity information in our Planned Gift pages.
Freedom & Unity Circle Memberships
- $25,000 — Abby Maria Hemenway
- $15,000 — Justin Smith Morrill
- $10,000 — Dorothy Canfield Fisher
- $5,000 — Daniel Pierce Thompson
- $2,500— Clarina Howard Nichols
- $1,000 — Henry Stevens, Sr.