You have many ways to help us preserve and share Vermont history!
You can see your options below or click here to donate online.
Donate, become a member or renew your membership
You can join or donate using our online membership/donation form.
As a member, you receive free admission to our museum, exhibits and library; our twice yearly Vermont History journal and other member discounts and benefits, supporting the work that has earned a national reputation for excellence.
To become a member by phone, please call Diane Campbell at (802) 479-8503. You can also mail your membership dues to:
Vermont Historical Society
60 Washington Street
Barre, VT 05641
If you join when you visit us, you can immediately take advantage of your member benefits.
Give a memorial, honoring or other gift of membership
Your gift membership can bring Vermont’s rich heritage to a friend or loved one all year long.
You can also honor a loved one or ask for donations to Vermont Historical Society "in lieu of flowers" for memorial services or special occasions. Named gifts of $10,000 or more are also available.
Give a gift of stock
When you transfer appreciated stock directly to the Vermont Historical Society, you may save capital gains taxes while helping to preserve Vermont's history.
- For information on using your stock to create gift that also gives you regular income, please see the Charitable Remainder Trust and Charitable Gift Annuity information in our Planned Gift pages.
Your employer's matching gift can increase your support! Just fill out your employer's matching gift form.
Choose your level of membership
Freedom & Unity Circle Memberships
- $25,000 — Abby Maria Hemenway
- $15,000 — Justin Smith Morrill
- $10,000 — Dorothy Canfield Fisher
- $5,000 — Daniel Pierce Thompson
- $2,500— Clarina Howard Nichols
- $1,000 — Henry Stevens, Sr.
- $500 — Sustaining
- $250 — Contributing
- $100 — Associate
- $55 — Household
- $50 — Institutional
- $45 — Individual
- $40 — Senior Individual
With your membership, you are helping to preserve Vermont's heritage—now and for future generations!
- Unlimited free admission to the library, Vermont History Museum and Vermont Heritage Galleries
- Advance notice & reduced admission for special events and programs
- Subscription to Vermont History, the semi-annual scholarly journal
- Subscription History Connections, the quarterly newsletter
- Discount of 15% on most museum store and Book List purchases
- Discounts on library research services
- Voting privileges at VHS Annual Meeting (one vote per institutional membership)
- Membership in Time Travelers (offering special discounts on admissions, etc. at selected historical societies and museums nationwide
Your membership preserves Vermont history—now, and for future generations. You've opened a window into the lives of past Vermonters, helping us understand Vermont's heritage, and ultimately, ourselves.