You have many ways to help us preserve and share Vermont history!
You can see your options below or click here to donate online.
Donate, become a member or renew your membership
You can join or donate using our online membership/donation form.
As a member, you receive free admission to our museum, exhibits and library; our twice yearly Vermont History journal and other member discounts and benefits, supporting the work that has earned a national reputation for excellence.
To become a member by phone, please call Diane Campbell at (802) 479-8503. You can also fill out a form and mail your membership dues to:
Vermont Historical Society
60 Washington Street
Barre, VT 05641
If you join when you visit us, you can immediately take advantage of your member benefits.
Give a brick or memorial or honoring gift
Your gift can honor a loved one or family with a brick in the Vermont History Center courtyard. To purchase a brick, please click here.
You can also honor a loved one in a memorial service or special occasion by asking for donations to Vermont Historical Society "in lieu of flowers."
Give a gift of stock
When you transfer appreciated stock directly to the Vermont Historical Society, you may save capital gains taxes while helping to preserve Vermont's history.
- For information on using your stock to create gift that also gives you regular income, please see the Charitable Remainder Trust and Charitable Gift Annuity information in our Planned Gift pages.
Your employer's matching gift can increase your support! Just fill out your employer's matching gift form.
Choose your level of membership
Freedom & Unity Circle Memberships
- $25,000 — Abby Maria Hemenway
- $15,000 — Justin Smith Morrill
- $10,000 — Dorothy Canfield Fisher
- $5,000 — Daniel Pierce Thompson
- $2,500— Clarina Howard Nichols
- $1,000 — Henry Stevens, Sr.
- $250 — Sustaining
- $150 — Associate
- $100 — Household
- $60 — Individual
- $25 — Student/Educator
- $50 — Institutional
Senior Citizens (65+), Military (active or retired), and Members of local Vermont historical societies receive a 20% discount on the membership level of their choosing! (excludes Institutional level)
Keep it easy! Choose a monthly amount to give, and your membership will continue hassle-free! We’ll charge your credit card the amount you choose each month, and you’ll be one of our supporting members, saving us postage and paper. Just choose the RECUR box on this form.
All Membership Levels Include:
- Free admission to the Museum and History Center
- Free use of the Leahy Library
- 25% advance discount for Vermont History Expo
- Advance notice of programs, exhibit openings, and special events
- Discounts on programs and workshops
- Subscription to semi-annual Vermont History journal and History Connections newsletter
- Voting privileges at the Annual Meeting
- Invitations to members-only events
Additional benefits/privileges per level:
- Member privileges for one student or teacher with valid I.D
- Receive special mailings on museum educational programming
- Educators receive one guest pass to share
- Admits member named on card
- One guest pass to share
- Admits two members named on card and their children or grandchildren under 18
- Two guest passes to share
- Household privileges
- Reciprocal privileges at over 600 Museums through North American Reciprocal Museum (NARM) program
- Four guest passes to share
- Associate privileges
- Six guest passes to share
- One household membership to gift
Your membership preserves Vermont history—now, and for future generations. You've opened a window into the lives of past Vermonters, helping us understand Vermont's heritage, and ultimately, ourselves.